I LOVE ‘crappy’ pizza…said NO ONE EVER
I take pizza really seriously…I could legit get angry over a crappy pizza. No one wants to eat all those calories and have it taste like ‘crepe’. Thankfully, I consider myself a pizza connoisseur, so i’m here to the rescue…
Christmas is one of my favorite times of year, and cooking with my family is one of the best parts. We are always back home in the Bahamas so simple recipes are the best, and that’s why we make this incredibly EASY and delectably-delicious pizza dough and breadstick recipe…and it is THE BOMB.COM -you’ll never want to pay $15 for pizza delivery again. My sister and I go gluten free most of the time, so i’ve included our yummy take on GFREE pizza with homemade quinoa crust we make…it’ll satisfy that pizza craving in no time, without the ultimate stomach ache. We think THAT is purdy dang amaze-balls…breadstick balls to be exact.
Homemade Pizza Dough
2 Cups Bread Flour (bread flour is the bees knees for pizza and makes a difference)
1 packet active dry yeast
1 cups warm water
2 TSP white sugar
1 TSP sea salt
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, salt, white sugar…Whisk mixture.
3. lightly mix the yeast mixture, just for a second
4. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and stir well to combine. Add olive oil. Knead until a stiff dough has formed. I like to knead it into a ball then cover with a towel to rise for about 30 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees celsius)
**Note** after dough rises, you may or may not need to add small amounts of flour/olive oil to thicken the dough or increase moisture. I do this as needed and it is different every time.
7. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round shape (use a rolling pin if you’d like, I do it easily without).
8. Cover with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings and bake on a pizza stone, or lightly oiled pan in preheated oven until golden brown. About 15-20 minutes.
*Same as pizza dough
1. Follow the same instructions for the pizza dough, steps 1-6.
2. Roll out dough onto well floured surface and form into a rectangle/square.
3. Cut the dough into 1 inch width slices and roll them into breadstick shapes (We also just pull small pieces of dough and form them into cookie dough sized balls and make round breadsticks). Then melt about 3 TBS of butter in the microwave for around 30 seconds (keep an eye on it). Add garlic/salt mixture to butter, to taste.
4. Lightly oil pan. Baste breadsticks with melted butter/garlic+salt mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until light and fluffy. We remove them while they are still slightly doughy as they’ll continue to bake.
6. Remove immediately to a plate with a paper towel on the bottom
Gluten Free, Quinoa Crust:
Servings: 6 Slices
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1/2 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cup water (for cooking the quinoa)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs/Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic salt (optional)
1/4 cup shredded cheese (we used parmesan)
- Add quinoa to water, bring the pan to a boil; cover and cook till all the water is absorbed and the quinoa becomes fluffy.
- Add the dried herbs, garlic salt and shredded cheese. Mix well. It will reach an almost-dough like texture.
- Beat the whole egg; add it in and mix. Now the dough like quinoa mixture becomes spreadable.
- Take a pan of choice (I used a cookie sheet). Line it with some parchment paper/foil and spray some cooking oil on it.
- Take the quinoa mixture in hand and shape it like a ball. Place it on the cookie sheet and spread the quinoa into a shape you like. It almost spreads evenly by itself. Just use you hand to guide it make sure that one side is not much thicker compared to the other.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven for 10-13 min at 350°F / 180°C.
- Take it out of the oven. Let it cool for a min. Spread the pizza sauce on top. Layer the toppings and cheese and bake for another 10 min until the cheese melts and the sides start to turn golden.
- Let it cool for a min so that the crust holds together.
- Carefully cut out slices and serve.
Happy Pizza ‘DOUGH’LIDAYS y’all!