Do you have acne or skin problems? Say hello to your two new best friends: Apple Cider Vinegar & Coconut Oil. I know what you’re thinking, we’re crazy for putting it on our face. But trust us, these two household items will do wonders for your skin!
Apple Cider Vinegar
How and why Apple Cider Vinegar will help your skin:
- ACV helps balance your skins natural pH level. The solution contains a pH level of 4.5-5.5 which is the ideal number for the skin. This helps your skin balance the production of sebum, aka it helps your skin from becoming too oily or too dry.
- The solution unblocks pores and allows skin to breathe correctly by removing excess oil.
- ACV contains malic acid, which causes anti-fungal and antibacterial properties in the solution.
- ACV helps with age spots by removing dead skin cells
- It has little to no side effects and works great on most skin types
Tools to making your ACV toner:
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Container for your solution
- Filtered or distilled water
- Cotton pad
- Mix together one part ACV and one part water in the container – ACV is extremely potent and needs to be watered down. Putting the vinegar directly on your face can potentially damage your skin. If you have sensitive skin you may want to start off with one part ACV and two parts water. You can always increase the intensity of the vinegar once you skin adjusts.
- Test the solution – There are little to no side effects for putting the mixed solution on your face. However, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, test the solution on a part of your skin to make sure an irritation does not occur.
- Apply to skin – Wash your face as normal and follow up with your ACV toner. Shake your container before each use, then put onto a cotton pad. Apply the wet pad on your face, paying special attention to troubled spots. Be aware that the solution may burn, but don’t worry thats just a sign of it working! Also, you will notice that the solution doesn’t smell too pleasant (almost like a dirty socks), but it wears off within a few minutes.
- Finish up your new nightly routine with your favorite moisturizer (or coconut oil).
But wait, there’s more!
ACV can be used for many other beauty fixes. Celebrities such as Hilary Duff and Scarlet Johanson are big ACV fans.
- Use as a hair rise – ACV contains acetic acid which helps remove hair buildup from shampoos and products we use daily. A few times a month add the solution to your hair routine by massaging into scalp after shampooing and rinsing off a few minutes later.
- Use to help with burns – The amino acids that are found in ACV will balance hydration and calm irritations. This is great for calming a sunburn or razor burns.
How to use Coconut oil:
You can use coconut oil in so many different ways. Honestly, the possibilities are endless. A little goes a long way with this oil, making this a beauty steal! Just like Apple Cider Vinegar, the solution is antibacterial and anti-fungal. It’s great for stretch marks, fine lines, and wrinkles. The list goes on, and on but here are a few of our personal favorite uses!
- Eye makeup remover – The oil breaks down the makeup and leaves your skin feeling hydrated. This works wonders with waterproof mascara! Gently rub the oil on your eyes and remove with water.
- Face wash – Products that are now available on the market contain tons of harsh chemicals that will strip your skin. Coconut oil removes nasty dirt and makeup without stripping your skin of its natural oils. The oil will leave your skin feeling super clean and hydrated. If you’re feeling daring, remove your cleanser from your daily routine and stick to just coconut oil and ACV. Wash your face every other day with coconut oil and use your ACV toner on the other days. When using Coconut oil as a face wash, apply to skin in circular motions and remove with a warm wash cloth. Note: do not follow up with your moisturizer! Your skin will already feel super hydrated and adding more may overdue it.
- Everyday body moisturizer – If you haven’t already discovered, Coconut Oil is super hydrating. So why not use it all over? The oil increases hydration while reducing water loss in skin. Remember a little goes a long way!
- Shaving creme – My personal favorite use. Just like cleansers, shaving cremes available on the market are full of harsh chemicals. Using Coconut Oil while shaving allows for a closer shave, while leaving your legs feeling super hydrated all day. Plus, you’ll smell like you spent your day on a tropical island! Note: Be super careful while using this product in the shower. It is an oil and will make your shower floor your own personal slip-n-slide. Lesson learned!
- Deep-conditioner – Because the solution is antibacterial and anti-fungal it has the ability to penetrate your hair better than high end brands. Comb the coconut oil through your hair, put into a bun and cover. Leave on for a few hours or over night and rise out. If you sleep with the solution in your hair be sure to lay a towel down to avoid a mess.
- Body scrub – Melt a portion of the solution and add brown sugar. Add your favorite essential oils to change the smell up.
- Lip gel – Apply before bed for a hydrating lip balm that will heal dry and cracked lips
You won’t believe what just a few simple changes to your routine can do to your body. With these natural beauty remedies, your outer beauty can shine just as brightly as your inner beauty. So, go out there with confidence and shine B Babes!